Thursday, 7 August 2014

OELP Day 5 reflection- Lim Yan Tong

So I woke up this morning and I felt a burning sensation in my throat. TO MY HORROR I HAVE LOST MY VOICE COMPLETELY and I could not even hum a tune yay this is wonderful *note the sarcasm* this is the moment when I am so glad for the invention of mobile phone! Its the only way for me to communicate :'(

Anyway, the first stop for today is at Wulai Aboriginal Elementary School. When we got there the students performed their ethnic drums to us. Then we were taught some simple Atayal phrases. The teachers there were really welcoming to us and even cracked some jokes to lighten up our serious atmosphere. Most of us opened up to them quickly and participated actively in the activity. We had fun in the art lesson where we could draw anything we wanted and let our creative juices flow. Then we had to weave some strings into the art piece. 
After lunch it was time for PE lesson. As I was still sick, I had to sit at the side and watch my classmates participate in the basketball competition between our class and the students in Wulai. I thought that my classmates would surely win because our competitors were children of age 9-15 and we were more than half a head taller taller and older than most of them. Much to my expectation, the children were able to shoot the basketball into the net accurately while some of my classmates could not even dribble a ball properly. Wow we should really not judge a book by its cover.  Also, halfway through the game, it started drizzling. The first instinct of my classmates and I were to run into a shelter to shield ourselves from the rain. However, the students in Wu Lai continued the game as if nothing had happened! I could see the sportsmanship in them which was to not give up. Perhaps, we Singaporeans are too pampered by our parents. We need to put ourselves through the mill to be stronger! Faster than I thought, it was time to leave already. We went to the nearby Wu Lai old street and visited a museum there which was similar to Shung Ye Museum of Formosan Aborigines.



The last stop was at Raohe night market where we were given our own time to walk around and have our dinner over there. I did not have much appetite as I was sick and there were alot of food that I was allowed to eat as they will worsen my condition. I noticed that the streets of Raohe night market were relatively clean although there wasnt any rubbish bin there. Puzzled to where I should dispose my rubbish, I hand my rubbish over to a stall owner and asked if I could throw my rubbish into their bins. Later on then I heard from our tour guide that we should hold on to our own rubbish and dispose them when we get home. The environmental policy is definitely a success in Taiwan! Singaporeans should learn from them as well.


All in all, I feel that it is not a good day today. I was unable to speak the whole day and had the experience of being mute. I guess today is the day that I have been the most quiet in my entire life. Unfortunately, I was also unable to interact with the Wu Lai students much today as I had no voice to speak. But at least I got to experience what the lesson of the aboriginal students. Although both Wu Lai and Jian Guo are schools of Taiwan, there is a significant difference between them. Singapore's educational system is much more similar to Wu Lai Elementary School. 

No comments:

Post a Comment