This morning I woke up with a sight fever fever at 27.7 degree :(( sighpie I am the first one to be sick.
It was truly a good learning experience for me at Jian Guo High School. Upon reaching Jian Guo High School, a group of students lined up infront of the school gate and waved to us enthusiastically. Despite their friendliness, I was feeling nervous too. We were then assigned a buddy and were brought to watch different performances such as band performance, beatboxing, juggling, magic etc.
It was said that there are more than 80 different CCAs in Jian Guo High School and if none of the clubs and societies interests you, you can set up your own club. The school would then support and fund them. This is similar to the IDP in our school which our students could initiate our CCA. However, we have a tighter budget in River Valley High School so it is harder to set up our own CCA. The performance that left the deepest impression on me was the juggling put up by the "circus club". Although some of the jugglers did not manage to catch the ball they threw after a few tries, they did not give up and continued to pick the ball up and continue juggling until they were successful in doing so. The facilitators cheered and clapped for their schoolmates as a sign of support. This was a familiar sight that could be seen in our school too- We cheer to spur our friends up when they are not doing very well. It was the same kind of spirit that was shown in Jian Guo High School. I learnt from the students in Jian Guo High School not to give up even when we are faced with setbacks. Perseverance was exercised during the juggling performance and I could see that giving up was definitely not an option for them too. I learnt not to be afraid to make mistake and to stand up from when we fall FALL DOWN SEVEN TIMES STAND UP EIGHT!
After that, my buddy gave me a tour around the school. Their school was really big and there were many facilities too such as the swimming pool. I feel envious of what they have but *sigh* lets just be content with what we have in Singapore because there are limited land mass in Singapore. Last but not least, we were taught how to do some magic tricks by the magic club. The seniors taught us two magic tricks with the use of rubber bands. It was a little hard to understand but the seniors explained to us repeatedly with patience until we were able to do it. It was a whole lot of fun as the seniors showed us some others magic tricks!
Before we left the school, the seniors offered to treat us their local "ice kachang" from a shop beside their school. As Jian Guo High School focuses on freedom, they were allowed to go outside their school to buy food during their break time. The "ice kachang" tastes different from the one in Singapore, with alot more ingredients. It definitely helped to quench our thirst in this humid weather. BAGUS! :D Thank you Jian Guo High School for the treat!
Afterwards, we went to Chiang Kai Shek and Dr Sun Yat Sen's memorial hall. In both Chiang Kai Shek and Sun Yat Sen memorial hall, there is a changing of guard every hour. The change of guard is quite interesting but there was too many people so we had to peep through heads. I felt so impressed of the guards because they had to stand upright for an hour without moving. (I cant even sit still for 10min!) They must have trained hard to be this discipline. Also, I realized that the commands spoke by the guards was in Chinese because their first language in Taiwan is Chinese while Singapore's commands are in Malay. I though it was pretty cool to hear military commands in Chinese although I couldnt really make out the words. Chiang Kai Shek and Sun Yat Sen are the leaders we learnt in history class. Being able to visit these memorial hall personally, allowed me to to understand more about the history and the family background of Chiang Kai Shek and Sun Yat Sen by looking and thinking outside of textbook context.
Lastly, we went to Xi Men Ding in the evening. There was not much to learn there and all we did was shopping, shopping and shopping! (HEHEHE)
Overall, I feel that it is a fruitful day today and I really look forward to the second day of school immersion at Jian Guo High School :D






No comments:
Post a Comment